Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crafting ADD

I've heard several other crafty people talking about 'crafting ADD'...the inability to focus on a single project at a time, or perhaps even starting one, then abandoning it in favor of a better project.

This is completely me, no excuses....except that my kids totally don't help when it comes to focus and finishing.

As for the focus part, my five year old daughter is constantly asking me to make her stuff for her Barbies, or other dolls, or hair bows for her, or whatnot. Most of these things are quick, small projects that don't truly interfere with my other crafting, and they can actually be beneficial to me because I am suitably distracted from my main project just long enough to fulfill the crochet wanderlust that comes over me in the middle of a larger project. But they still take time away from my other projects.

Now, the main problem the kiddos contribute to is the actual finishing of a project. I make a lot of toys, nice small projects that don't take weeks, don't require worrying overmuch about sizing and gauge and other little things that I don't want to mess with. There have been many times that my kids will see me working on something and 'claim' it before it's done...pieces go missing, whole projects go missing, and it's usually just faster to make another than to find where on earth they've managed to hide it when there are only so many places in one dwelling to stash things.

Last night as I was doing the dishes my five year old told me that her almost two year old sister was messing with some scissors. At the time I didn't think much beyond it other than taking the scissors away from the tiny toddler hands...but I later found out that she had some craftiness on her mind too...and she had snipped little bits of the ant head that was just waiting to be sewed.

Perhaps she wasn't being needlessly destructive...she might have been displaying an aptitude for extermination...

No comments:

Post a Comment